Foley Catheter

Forum for the open discussion of prostate cancer, the second leading cause of cancer death in males.

Moderator: Inner Sanctum

sysadm
Site Admin

Foley Catheter

Post by sysadm »

Tomorrow, I go back to the urologist to hopefully have this Foley catheter removed after 3 weeks. Living at home with it in place, is slow getting adjusted to - people that go for months or longer have earned my utmost respect! Also, the results of my PET scan last week should be circulating around my band of doctors (oncologist, urologist, family physician, etc...) and I'm praying for no more surprises.

I'm currently reading Gilda Radner's book titled "It's Always Something", which is an account of her struggles going through ovarian cancer, which ultimately ended in her death. I was leery at first to read it, thinking it may cause more negative emotions, but the opposite has turned out to be true. There are so many others going through this nasty disease, and so many resources available to deal with it, that it gives the victim the realization that this is a war, and one that can and has been won!

I truly believe that many that succumb to cancer, or any other affliction, do so simply because they gave up hope!

sysadm
Site Admin

Re: Foley Catheter

Post by sysadm »

Following up on my previous post, they did replace the catheter during my visit to the urologist in November, however, my last visit resulted in removal of the catheter completely. That's been a week ago today, and am still getting re-adjusted to the last couple of months with the catheter in. I'm concerned that there might be some infection going on in there, as previous times during catheter placement/replacement, I've had antibiotics in my system.

At least my prostate is starting to decrease in size and my PSA levels are down considerably, but the side-effects of the medicines are pretty instense.

Oh well, it's always something!