Promoting site forums

Technical/support forum for problems within the network.

Moderator: Inner Sanctum

sysadm
Site Admin

Promoting site forums

Postby sysadm » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:03 pm

This topic addresses the issue of restricting 'bots' and attracting traffic from the 'desirables'.

Having a site forum has the potential to be a powerful way to open up your site to traffic of the desirable sort, however, the general trend is for a large amount of the undesirable ilk, specifically bots. This conundrum affects Wikis, bbPress, BuddyPress and other social installations as well. Of course, you can disable registration alltogether, which defeats the purpose of having an 'open discussion' site, but one of the most effective methods of controlling registration is to allow new registration by administrator approval only.

Any input on this topic would be appreciated! :?:

sysadm
Site Admin

Re: Promoting site forums

Postby sysadm » Mon May 25, 2015 1:54 pm

Administrating a social site or forum, is a pain in the ass, especially with the recent surge in maliciousness. It seems that the source of much of it is China, Russia and eastern Europe. Everyday, it seems, I have a queue of new registrations to approve, and so far, not one has been legitimate. Perhaps I should set up a social site specifically for hackers who have nothing better to day. I could probably get a huge boost in adsense traffic!

:geek: