Binge Drinking

Open discussion of élan vital.

Moderator: Inner Sanctum

sysadm
Site Admin

Binge Drinking

Postby sysadm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:11 am

I've had problems with alcohol since before I was an adult. It wasn't until those problems affected my close relationships that I was able to step back, take a look at the big picture, and begin to get pro-active about dealing with them.

My "pro-activity" was measured by quantifying periods of abstinence. My longest stint of sobriety over the decades since drinking regularly has been 2 years, which I've achieved multiple times. Surpassing the 2 year mark has been an obstacle for me and I don't know why.

I have found that by remaining persistent in combatting this life-long affliction, success must be measured by progress in the long run. Even though I suffer relapses from time to time, I still feel that I'm moving forward. Looking back over the last several years of my relationship with alcohol, I am now at the point in my "recovery" that instead of identifying progress by periods of lengthy abstinence, I'm addressing periodic "slips" which can last anywhere from a week to a month. In other words, instead of charting islands of abstinence in a sea of alcohol, I now locate ponds in a field of sobriety, and though that may not be considered perfection, it's progress in my book.

Alcohol is an incurable, terminal disease - there is no "final victory". I think that progression towards perfection is the closest we can get to "winning" this game and the realistic object is to keep from "losing".